FW: Proposals

From: <Tara.Murphy_at_email.protected>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:02:11 +1100

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-interop_at_eso.org [mailto:owner-interop_at_eso.org] On Behalf Of
Frederic V. Hessman
Sent: Thursday, 20 January 2005 10:35 PM
To: Anita Richards
Cc: 'Interop IVOA'; Tony Linde
Subject: Re: Proposals

Allow me to point out that the Remote Telescope Markup Language (RTML)
community
already has a nearly-finished solution for this and that we are
interested in making it VO-compatible in the long term.

The 11m Southern African Large Telescope will be using RTML as its
proposal document format
even though RTML was originally intended just to be an observing
request interface - basically
the same problem.

We have even written a prototype (!) RTML editor tool (called "Anduril"

by its author, Christian Hettlage)
which can be used as a general proposal tool a la Gemini's PIT.

Try :
        http://monet.uni-sw.gwdg.de/twiki/bin/view/RTML/WebHome
        http://www.uni-sw.gwdg.de/~hessman/RTML/docs/SPIE2004.pdf (long

discussion on this topic)
        http://www.uni-sw.gwdg.de/~hettlage/RTML/anduril (prototype
RTML
proposal tool)
        http://cdsads.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?
bibcode=2002A%26A...395..727P&amp;db_key=AST&amp;high=413f10822d25966
(article on old version of RTML)

We'd welcome input from the radio (and VO) community, since until now
the emphasis has been
on classical ground-based optical/IR telescopes.

Rick

Dr. Frederic V. Hessman Hessman_at_Astro.physik.Uni-Goettingen.DE
Universitaets-Sternwarte Tel. +49-551-39-5052
Geismarlandstr. 11 Fax +49-551-39-5043
37083 Goettingen http://www.uni-sw.gwdg.de/~hessman

MONET: a MOnitoring NEtwork of Telescopes http://monet.uni-goettingen.de