Ceduna clock test tonight?

From: <Simon.Ellingsen_at_email.protected>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 13:38:07 +1100

Hi,

During the teleconference this week we were talking about doing some further tests to try and track down the problem with the Ceduna rates. Brett has taken a Rb standard to Ceduna and it is running and warm, ready to test. From the schedule it seems that there is a 2 hour break between the end of v255p at 9 UT and the fringe check for the next experiment vc157/v271j, and its at a reasonable hour (i.e. before midnight).

I would like to request that we use some of that time to do a test with the Rb. Brett reckons that it will take ~30 minutes to swap between the maser and the Rb and another 30 minutes to swap back again. I've created a schedule vc157c, which has the same setup as vc157 (but without Warkworth), which starts at 9 UT and has 1921-293 as the fringe finder. I've attached the .key and .vex file (generated on Hydra).

How do people feel about aiming to record about 10 minutes of X-band data on 1921-293 with Ceduna running the Rb + another 2 or 3 antennas. This data would be kept and compared to some of the other fringe check data from this session. At Ceduna it will take ~20 minutes to change Rx from 6.7 - 8.4 and then 30 minutes to change the 5 MHz source, so we would be aiming to do it at about 10 UT. We then have ~ an hour to change the Ceduna 5 MHz back and be ready for vc157/v271j.

Jamie Mc will be at Hobart and Stas/Brett at Ceduna.

Brett has replaced the boards in the Ceduna station clock (our version of the ATDC), which he reports showed lots of signs of mouse inhabitation. The Ceduna station clock doesn't output 5 MHz, only the 1 PPS, so its not clear that this will fix any problems, but the strange electrical properties of mouse piss have been know to cause very strange problems with other devices at Ceduna in the past. Brett also found that the 5 MHz being distributed at Ceduna was being attenuated before distribution and was quite noisy, so that attenuator has now been removed.

Regards

Simon
--
Simon Ellingsen : Associate Professor Physics & Astronomy, University of Tasmania
email : Simon.Ellingsen_at_utas.<!--nospam-->edu.au

  • application/x-iwork-keynote-sffkey attachment: vc157c.key