User Tools

Site Tools


VLBI teleconference, 02 December 2009

11.00 Perth, 14.00 Eastern, 16.00 New Zealand

N.B. Eastern Australia is in Summer time.


Vic:03 9545 8222
NSW:02 9490 8022
ACT:02 6276 6622
Qld:07 3214 2311
WA:08 6436 8844
SA:08 8273 8122
NT:08 8944 8488
Tas:03 6232 5188

Meeting ID: 2635

Chair: Tasso Tzioumis

Attendance: Shinji Horiuchi (SDCCC, Canberra); Aidan Hotan, Claire Hotan, Aquib Moin (Curtin); Cormac Reynolds, Hayley Bignall (Curtin at Marsfield); Tasso Tzioumis, Chris Phillips, Emil Lenc(ATNF Marsfield); Ettore Carretti (ATNF, Parkes); Phil Edwards (ATNF, Narrabri); Jamie McCallum (UTas, Mt Pleasant), Jim Lovell(UTas,Hobart); Richard Dodson (UWA)

Apologies: Steven Tingay, Simon Ellingsen, Phil Edwards, David Jauncey


  • Dec09 session
    • Disks (Claire)
    • Observers
    • e-VLBI
    • Schedules
    • other issues
    • Telescopes
    • Correlator(s)
  • LBA ops/eVLBI mtg in Hobart. Planning.
  • AOB

Actions arising

(new items in blue)


  • Correlated data archive work to be completed for all Disk-based VLBI observations correlated at Swinburne and Curtin. Copies of archive at Curtin and ATNF. Continuing (2/12/09) (Claire/Chris/Tasso)
  • Update advice to PIs on keeping the ATCA phased at 8 GHZ and above. Check CABB developments (Tasso/Richard/Chris)
  • Complete SCHED update for the LBA and update list of “standard” LBA setups. (Cormac/Tasso)
    • Merge SCHED SVN branches to new version by end of year (Cormac)
    • Coordinate SCHED changes with FS scripts. (Cormac)
  • Mk5 Disks. New units to be ordered for correlation in Curtin and/or Bonn. Steven and Tasso to coordinate.
  • Always correlate LBA data with all 4 Stokes, unless PI objects. Start implementation and monitor progress. (Correlator) IMPLEMENTED
  • Unified LBA monitoring and control, to include Ho & Cd. Continue to develop. (Simon/Jamie/Tasso)
  • Investigate differential GPS setups for troposphere/ionosphere calibration (Chris/Cormac/Jamie)
  • Investigate implementation of displays from eVLBI/Rtfc on the Curtin correlator (Curtin/Chris)
  • Educate users/observers on fringe testing software (rtfc) and use of check-lists during observing. (Chris/all) OTHER * eVLBI data pipeline to be set on Cave (Cormac/Chris/Aquib) * cdisko upgrade very good. Only additional feature requested is a scroll-bar on the cdisko window. Also memory leaks (Jamie S.) * XFS on disks implemented. Email to all observers (document on wiki) new procedures on erasing XFS disks (Chris) * Change software correlators to DiFX 1.5. eVLBI for next session. Needs other changes to scripts and userguides (Cormac/Chris) * Replace faulty network switch on CAVE. Temporary work-around in place. (Chris/Shaun) * Possible to do 1-baseline at 3 Gbps with ATNF antennas. Will require some DAS developments. Science project proposals to Chris. MEETINGS and DEMOS * e-VLBI demo with Fortaleza. Network tests done but telescope inoperative, possibly for months. Continuing. (Chris/Tasso) * APAN e-VLBI demo on afternoon 10th February. Need to coordinate technical requirements with AARNet. Already in ATNF schedule.(Chris/Shaun/Tasso) * Next LBA ops/e-VLBI meeting next February, during IVS week in Hobart (8-12th). IVS workshops on Thursday 11the and LBA operations on Friday 12th. Followed by mini-TOW on Sat 13th. * Coordinate with Karen and Jim re arrangements and sent out notifying email (Tasso) * Circulate draft Agenda (Tasso) DECEMBER 2009 VLBI SESSION * Check on status of ATNF C-band (4.8 GHz) Rx at Parkes for the Dec session.(Tasso/Phil) * Email Adam re extra 2 hours of Tid time (Chris) * Record Mk5b as piggyback on LBA at Parkes, to test Mk5b correlation at Curtin (Curtin to coordinate.)**

  • Next telecon: session debrief end-Dec AND then end February 2010 for March VLBI session, ?? pm Sydney time (Tasso/Chris/Cormac)
lbaops/telecon2009dec02.txt · Last modified: 2015/12/18 16:39 by