User Tools

Site Tools


VLBI teleconference, 28 January 2009

12.00 Perth, 14.00 Eastern, 16.00 New Zealand


Vic:03 9545 8222
NSW:02 9490 8022
ACT:02 6276 6622
Qld:07 3214 2311
WA:08 6436 8844
SA:08 8273 8122
NT:08 8944 8488
Tas:03 6232 5188

Meeting ID: 8068

Chair: Steven Tingay

Attendance: Tingay, Reynolds, Moin, Bignall, C. Hotan, A. Hotan (Curtin) Tzioumis, Amy, Phillips, Lenc, Reynolds (ATNF Marsfield) Horiuchi (Tidbinbilla) Ellingsen, Dickey (Hobart) Stevens (ATNF Narrabri) Rioja, Dodson (UWA)


  • Next VLBI session
    • Schedules
    • Disks
    • e-VLBI tests
    • Observing support
  • eVLBI tests to Curtin (<1 Gbps and >1 Gbps) (Phillips/Tingay)
  • e-VLBI demo to Curtin (Tzioumis/Tingay)
  • LBA operations/eVLBI/Networking meeting (Tzioumis/Tingay)
  • Status of ARCS data transfer tests to iVEC (Phillips)
  • Update on New Zealand antenna (Gulyaev)
  • Update on Curtin cluster at Narrabri (Phillips/Amy)
  • AuScope Update (Lovell)
  • AOB

Actions arising

(new items in blue)

  • One of Curtin Mark5B+ units to be shipped to AUT when they arrive, plus an invoice to AUT. (Steven) - updated 28/01/09 - Shipping cockup by supplier. Delay in delivery of units.
  • Swinburne archive of correlated VLBI data to be moved to ATNF & Curtin at end of all Swinburne correlation (Steven/Claire) - update 28/01/09 - Swinburne correlation complete. Claire transferring data to Curtin. Will tidy up before sending on to ATNF. Claire to advise ATNF on archive size.
  • Options for disks and data transport:
    • Buying excess disks from Swinburne VLBI pool and/or Mk5 disks. (Tasso/Steven) - update 28/01/09 - Tasso and Steven still discussing.
    • Initiate discussion on next generation VLBI systems and disks (Mk5b/Mk5c/of-the-self) for the March LBA meeting. (Tasso/Steven) - update 28/01/09 - to be added to agenda for March meeting. UTas to be debriefed and kept in loop with meeting outcomes.
  • List on the Wiki available bands/polarisations at each LBA antenna. Also update “standard bands” (from S2) and define “standard” bands for wide-band recording. (Cormac/Tasso)
  • March LBA meeting and eVLBI demo preparations:
    • Tasso to prepare a 'block schedule' for the meeting and seek comment (Tasso)
  • Provide additional advice to PIs on scheduling the ATCA to keep it phased up at 8 GHz and above (Tasso) - update 28/01/09 - Richard to have input regards polarisation properties.
  • Some of the new 750 GB disks appear to have bigbuf problems at 512 Mbps. Claire to send Jim some disks for an out-of-session test at Hobart (Claire/Jim)
  • Curtin Cluster at Narrabri: wo would like to get the cluster up once the network is installed. Action on Tasso and Shaun to get the networking going as soon as possible (Tasso/Shaun) - update 28/01/09 - Gear ordered and arrived. Work to be done in next ~3 weeks. Jamie at Narrabri maybe get involved.
  • Cormac to take over delivery of PI letters for the February session, in the absence of Phil. ATNF to provide block schedule, latest version of PI letter and full PI contact information to Cormac this week (Cormac + Tasso/Chris)
  • Claire to calculate available disks for February and calculate disk usage from February block schedule (Claire)
  • Expedite ARCS support for data transfers (Steven/Cormac/Tasso/Chris)
  • Draft agenda for March operations meeting (Tasso)
  • eVLBI tests/demos to be discussed at Feb 3 meeting with AARNet. Agenda of issues needed for that meeting (Steven/Tasso/Chris).
  • email announcement regarding March LBA operations meeting to go out ASAP (Hayley)
  • Curtin/UWA to come up with remote observing support schedule for February session (Cormac/Richard)
  • Next telecon: Wed 11 Feb, 2009, 2pm Sydney time (Tasso/Chris)
lbaops/telecon2009jan28.txt · Last modified: 2015/12/18 16:39 by