Teacher Workshops in Astronomy
CSIRO Astronomy and Space Science (CASS) runs workshops to support science teachers around Australia. In addition to those we run ourselves our Education Officer and other staff present sessions at professional development opportunities organised by other groups such as the Australian Science Teachers Association and the various state Science Teachers' associations.
Details on recent and upcoming CASS workshops or other workshop sessions are provided below.
Semester 1 of 2017:
- Astronomy from the Ground Up! is our annual three-day workshop held at the Parkes Observatory, in the shadow of "The Dish". The 2017 workshop runs from Friday 28 April to Sunday 30 April. It targets the requirements of junior Science and Primary syllabi from around Australia whilst also providing depth and enrichment for teachers of senior physics. Teachers meet professional astronomers, hear lectures on different aspects of astronomy including some of the latest discoveries and tour the radio telescope. Emphasis is placed on practical and hands-on activities to take back and use in the classroom. Explore the wonderful dark night skies through optical telescopes. Participants also receive an extensive range of resources. NSW registered teachers will receive full accreditation for workshop hours through our agreement with the Science Teachers' Association of NSW. The workshop also qualifies as a Galileo Teacher Training Program (GTTP) workshop, providing international certification for participants.
Our Education Specialist, Robert Hollow, presents numerous workshop sessions at other teacher professional development days around Australia. Upcoming sessions include:
A. STAV Physics Teacher Conference, Thursday 16 February 2017
Workshop session tba. For more details visit:http://www.sciencevictoria.com.au/confVCE.html
B. ACSTA NSW, Macquarie University, Friday 17 - Saturday 18 February 2017
For more details visit: http://www.stansw.asn.au/default.aspx?article_id=259
- Session 3E "Life Beyond the Solar System?", Friday 17 November
- Session 4J "Hands-on awareness of the universe" (Primary workshop), Saturday 18 November
C. 2017 ACT Astronomy and Space Science Education Workshop, Giralang Primary School, ACT Saturday 4 March 2017.
Keynote speaker is CASS astronomer and ASKAP Project Scientist, Dr Lisa Harvey-Smith who will talk on: "STEM to the Stars".
Rob Hollow is giving two workshops sessions:
- "Life Beyond the Solar System?"
- "Being Aware of the Universe, Hands-on Astronomy for Primary Students"
For more details visit: https://sites.google.com/site/2017actastroeduworkshop/
Future sessions are planned for other science teacher conferences later in 2017 including the CONASTA & STAWA events. Other conferences will be added once details are known.
If you would like to know more about any upcoming workshops or are interested in having one of our staff present a session at an upcoming event, please contact our Education Officer, Robert Hollow for more information. He can be reached on:
Phone: 02 9372 4247
Fax: 02 9372 4444