Re: SOC email

From: <John.Lattanzio_at_email.protected>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 15:47:23 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 melanie_at_hilbert.<!--nospam-->maths.utas.edu.au wrote:

>I think the PASA discussion is important, but only if something happens as
>a result of it. I have been to many discussions on PASA and I am sure this

I think its essential. Its the single largest budget item and it
suffers from contradictory views and behaviour from the members.

The ASA is seriously considering its future - a questionnaire is being
prepared which will be sent out soon so that we can report back on the
results well before the meeting.

As Chair of the PASA EAC I can assure you that change is likely to
occur soon, so its important to discuss it.

I am in favour of an Educational session. Speaking at that should not
preclue fair competition for anotehr scientific talk/poster.

I wonder of the point of a Gemini session? Presumably no-one from AERC
is lkely to come to the session as it will be technical and not likely
to be understood by non-experts. I gues that its not likely to take up
extra space, since the science reported there would be reported
in other sessions anyway.....

Having said all that, note that this is the "Annual Scientific
Meeting" and I have just agreed to two non-scientific sessions :-) But
I don't know when else the members are (nearly) all together....

JL
--
Professor John Lattanzio
Centre for Stellar and Planetary Astrophysics