[atnf-data-reduction] Re: miriad programming

From: <mcalabre_at_email.protected>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:39:28 +1000

For people who want to develop new Miriad tasks or import tasks from
elsewhere, e.g. the CARMA or SMA variants of Miriad. (Firstly you
should read the instructions on the Miriad homepage,
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/computing/software/miriad/ for setting up a
private Miriad workspace.)

Tony Wong wrote:

  One tip which others may find useful. MIRIAD programs compiled in the
  private workspace (in my case, many CARMA and SMA programs) are not
  automatically accessible to the "miriad" shell and "mirhelp". One way
  to fix this, assuming you have the permissions, is to run "doc" on the
  programs in question and move the resulting .doc files to $MIRPDOC.
  Of course, you should not give a private task the same name as a
  standard MIRIAD task.

  Maybe there's a more elegant solution, but this seems to work for me.

My response:

  [This is not a problem for existing tasks which already have a doc
  file in $MIRPDOC, but for new ones] I've modified mirhelp and the
  miriad shell so that they treat MIRPDOC as a colon-separated search
  path to which ".:$HOME/miriad/doc" is implicitly prepended. If you
  have doc files in some other location you can augment MIRPDOC
  suitably, e.g.

    setenv MIRPDOC $HOME/miriad/my_other_docs:$MIRPDOC

  mirhelp will print a warning if it finds a doc file in your private
  area that has a counterpart in the system area.

So, in summary, if your Miriad workspace is in $HOME/miriad/, then you
only need run

  doc mytask.for > $HOME/miriad/doc

and the miriad shell will always find it without you needing to modify
MIRPDOC. Note that a doc file is not needed for running a task outside
the miriad shell with command-line options, as you would need to do, for
example, to debug it.

Mark Calabretta
ATNF