Re: [atnf-data-reduction] diverging CLEAN solutions

From: <mcalabre_at_email.protected>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 12:10:48 +1100

On Wed 2007/12/05 16:15:52 +1100, Ilana Feain wrote
in a message to: atnf-data-reduction_at_atnf.<!--nospam-->csiro.au

Hi Ilana,

>I wonder whether anyone has noticed the following diverging behaviour of
>CLEAN or can offer an educated guess on what's going on:

This sort of thing usually indicates the use of an uninitialized
variable but finding it in this case proved to be a challenge.

The problem, which dates from at least 1995/01, actually stemmed from
the inadvertent use of the uninitialized elements of a character
variable that controls the formation of the FFT of the dirty beam.
If one of the six uninitialized elements just happened to be a 'd'
then whammo (do 'rlog $MIRPROG/clean.for' for details).

I've updated all ATNF Miriad installations and regenerated the update
files. Everyone else should update theirs asap using mirsync or
mirupdate.

Cheers, Mark