Re: invite

From: <Tony.Wong_at_email.protected>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 11:57:15 +1000 (EST)

Andrew and others,

        I'll next send versions of my letter to Dave Frayer and Jeremy
Lim. I think Baerbel will write to Tyler Bourke, and Mark will write to
David Neufeld? That should cover our initial list. Please cc: your
letters to the rest of the SOC at mmwkshp_at_atnf.<!--nospam-->csiro.au.

        Richard Barvainis is pretty high profile, perhaps too high for
our workshop. As I recall he is in charge of Astronomy at the National
Science Foundation. Given recent events in DC I think it would be best
not to contact him this week; in any case I would guess his chances of
attending are slim, unless he has a strong connection with Australia that
I'm unaware of. I contacted Martijn de Kool yesterday and he knows of
no overseas visitors currently scheduled for the Heisler workshop.

        I think an expression of sorrow would be appropriate in writing to
our American colleagues, perhaps stronger than in my letter to Eugene.
Thanks for your wishes, Andrew; as far as I know none of my friends are
among the casualties, but I've had contact with only a few at this time.

--Tony

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Andrew Melatos wrote:

>Rachel is very enthusiastic about inviting
>Richard Barvainis, from the Haystack Lab
>at MIT. She reckoins he does great work on
>radio QSOs (incl. VLBI) and has recently
>verged into mm (continuum + CO lines).
>An AGN guy! Do you know him? What do you think?
>
>Andrew
>
>PS. My wishes for the safety of YOUR friends
>and family as well.

Tony Wong twong_at_atnf.<!--nospam-->csiro.au
CSIRO Australia Telescope Nat'l Facility TEL +61-2-9372-4399
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/twong FAX +61-2-9372-4310