LBA calibration files

From: <Jim.Lovell_at_email.protected>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 09:13:41 +1000

Dear VLBIers,

I'd like to make a request regarding calibration (Tsys and flag)
files. Is it possible for observatories to provide AIPS-readable
input files along with logs following the experiment? I know that
UTas and Tid do this already but it doesn't happen at Mopra or the
ATCA and Parkes files don't seem to end up on the FTP site
automatically.

If these files are prepared straight after the experiment by the
observer then it makes it a heck of a lot easier for the PI. Leith
and I have been struggling to interpret the ATCA and Mopra Tsys logs
which seem to be either non-standard or to have changed recently
because logs2keyin produces strange output. Working out what happened
and how to get what we need is impossible without hassling the people
who made the observations in the first place. So it seems better all
round for the files to be produced by the observers.

And while I'm sticking my neck out, could I make one more suggestion?
With the move of correlation to Swinburne, will there be some sort of
LBA operations document written that describes who is responsible for
what? If so, could this document include a description of what the PI
will get post-correlation? I would hope that they would at least get
all the calibration files with their data.

Thanks,
Jim
--
Dr Jim Lovell,                                      Jim.Lovell_at_csiro.<!--nospam-->au
CSIRO Australia Telescope National Facility       Ph:    (02) 6125 6715