eVLBI success between Shanghai, Kashima and Australia

From: <Chris.Phillips_at_email.protected>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 20:52:10 +1000

Hi all,

For those not at the Shanghai eVLBI meeting I thought it might be
worthwhile letting you know about the eVLBI demonstration we held as
part of the meeting.

With the help of AARNet, CSTNet, JGN2 and other international NRENs
we established light paths from Kashima and Shanghai to the Parkes
observatory. For the demonstration we streamed data in realtime from
Kashima, ATCA, Mopra and Parkes into a PC cluster at Parkes at 512
Mbps. Shanghai was streamed at 256 Mbps. The data streams were
correlated in realtime using the DiFX software correlator. The
networks performed flawlessly for the entire 12hr period of the demo,
observing some AGN and a recent gamma ray burst (a non-detection
unfortunately). We were able to present an image of the GRB calibrator
before the end of the demonstration.

We could only run Shanghai as 256 Mbps due to a probably bug in the
DiFX software at 512 Mbps with Mark5a data. This is being
investigated. The network to Shanghai worked fine at 512 Mbps.

Regards

Chris Phillips
CSIRO ATNF eVLBI project scientist
Office: (+61) (0)2 93724608 Mobile: (+61) (0)439487601