Third announcement: 3rd CASA VLBI workshop

From: Phillips, Chris (S&A, Marsfield) <"Phillips,>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 23:18:19 +0000

Sending this on behalf of Ilse van Bemme

Third announcement: 3rd CASA VLBI workshop

*** Registration for in-person participation closing on 17 March ***

Dates: 5-9 June 2023
Location: JIVE headquarters in Dwingeloo, the Netherlands
Format: hybrid with streamed lectures and in-person practical work
Website: https://www.jive.eu/casa-vlbi2023

This is the final announcement of the 3rd CASA VLBI workshop, hosted by JIVE in Dwingeloo from 5-9 June 2023. Registration for in-person participants will close on 17 March for selection of in-person participants. The registration for online participants only continues until 15 May.

Scope
The third edition of the CASA VLBI workshop will be a hybrid meeting.

The aim of this workshop is to train participants on data processing and imaging of VLBI observations with the CASA package. Though the focus will be on continuum astronomical experiments, other applications of VLBI will be discussed. Participants are expected to have a basic understanding of radio interferometry, but do not need to be experts. Introductory lectures on VLBI and CASA will be part of the programme.

There is a cap of 50 participants for in-person participation. The in-person registration fee of €150 includes full access to the workshop, coffee, tea and on-site lunches. For online participation there is currently no maximum number of people, and a registration fee of €50 will be charged for access to the live stream and message services during the meeting.

Registration for the workshop is open now, and will close on 17 March 2023 for in-person participants. In case of oversubscription for in-person participation we will select participants, taking into account a diverse representation in gender, experience and background. We will notify in-person participants by 31 March 2023 to allow sufficient time for visa applications and travel arrangements. Participants requiring a longer lead time for their visa are asked to contact the organisers.

Note that due to the beginning summer holiday season and other major events that week, hotels may be sparse. We encourage potential in-person participants to book as early as possible. For more information see the Logistics page on the website.

Programme
The draft programme is now on the website ( https://www.jive.eu/casa-vlbi2023 ). The lectures will all be streamed, the data processing sessions will be in-person only. There will be datasets provided as well as notebook tutorials, participants are also welcome to work on their own VLBI observation.

Special needs
Should you require any special support, such as child care or transportation, please contact the organisers as soon as possible. We are happy to work with you to make your participation possible, though given the location and limited resources we have to do this on an individual basis.

SOC & LOC
Ilse van Bemmel (JIVE, chair)
Kazi Rygl (INAF-IRA Bologna, Italy, co-chair)
Bjorn Emonts (NRAO, Charlottesville, US)
Mark Kettenis (JIVE, treasurer)
Yvonne Kool (JIVE, secretary)
George Moellenbrock (NRAO Socorro, US)
Javier Moldon (IAA Granada, Spain)
Leah Morabito (Durham University, UK)
Suma Murthy (JIVE)
Junghwan Oh (JIVE)

Contact information
Information on the website will be constantly updated. For any additional questions or queries you can contact the organisers at casavlbi_at_email.protected>.