The 2011 AusGO/AAO Observational Techniques Workshop
Tuesday August 30 - Friday September 2
ATNF Marsfield Lecture Theatre, Sydney
The Australian Gemini Office in conjunction with the Australian Astronomical Observatory is pleased to announce the 2011 AusGO/AAO Observational Techniques Workshop
to be held over three and a half days from Tuesday August 30 to Friday September 2, 2011 in the ATNF Marsfield Lecture Theatre in Sydney.
The workshop is designed to be an introduction to the optical and infrared facilities available to the Australian astronomical community, and will include tutorial
sessions where you can get your hands on real data and learn how to reduce it.
A program will be released closer to the workshop, but we expect to have presentations given by both AAO and Gemini staff. Topics to be covered include:
* Instrumentation on the AAT, Gemini and Magellan
* Imaging and photometry
* Spectroscopy, including high-resolution, multi-object and IFU spectroscopy
* Infrared observations, including Natural and Laser Guide Star Adaptive Optics
* Proposal writing, large surveys and how to impress the Time Allocation Committee
* Data reduction using different packages (Gemini IRAF, 2dFDR, ORAC_DR, etc)
The workshop is open to everyone, and students in particular are encouraged to attend.
There will be no registration fee, but lunch, morning and afternoon teas will be provided.
To express interest in attending, please email Simon O'Toole firstname.lastname@example.org).
A list of accommodation options close to the venue will be included n the second announcement.
The Organising Committee is
Simon O'Toole (Chair)