image: Shaun Amy, CSIRO
CSIRO Astronomy and Space Science is holding the 2011 Radio Astronomy School at the Parkes Radio Telescope, NSW, from Monday 26th September to Friday 30th September 2011. The format of the school will be similar to previous schools, with a mix of lectures and practical hands-on sessions. Material will be presented by both radio astronomers and engineers. The lectures will cover both single dish telescopes and interferometers. The intended audience is postgraduate students and other interested researchers. No prior experience with radio astronomy is required.
- Introduction to the Parkes Radio Telescope
- Introduction and Fundamentals of Radio Astronomy
- Spectral line and Continuum observing
- Pulsar observations and astronomy
- Techniques of interferometry
- Receiver technologies
- Correlator technologies
- Data Reduction and Analysis
- Interpreting and Calibrating Polarisation Measurements
- Radio Frequency Interference
- Practical Sessions: Observing and Data Reduction
- Introduction to Next Generation Interferometers - ASKAP and SKA
The programme can be found here.
School Photos are contained in a zip file here.
Registration for the Radio Astronomy School is now closed.
We have a number of rooms reserved at the Coachman Motel which is ideally placed in the centre of Parkes. The Coachman is within easy walking distance of supermarkets and a number of dining options. The block reservation includes a number of room configurations and these are as follows:
- 4 x Deluxe Twin rooms for $95 per room per night
- 1 x Deluxe Single for $90 per room per night
- 4 x Standard Twin rooms for $80 per room per night
- 1 x Standard Single room for $75 per room per night
- 1 x Family room with 5 beds for $130 per room per night
- 1 x Family room with 4 beds for $130 per room per night
All students (aside from those eligible for financial assistance; see below) are responsible for booking their own accommodation and should call the Coachman on (02) 6862 2622, mentioning that they are attending the Parkes Radio School, to secure a room.
Some financial assistance is available in the form of accommodation bursaries. Students who require financial assistance should indicate this on their registration form, and, if approved, we will allocate and book shared rooms at the Coachman Motel for these students.
Some additional rooms are available at the Station Motel at a rate of $100 per night for either a double or a twin room. This motel is located about 2.5 km from the Parkes CBD. Rooms at this motel can be booked by calling (02) 6862 8444 and mentioning that you are attending the Parkes Radio School.
Parkes is located about 360 km from Sydney and there are a couple of options for public transportation which are listed below.
Regional Express generally has three flights to and from Sydney during the week and two on the weekend. Flights usually cost about $140 each way. Please note that the capacity of these flights is only 30 people so availability may be limited on the Sunday evening before the school and on the Friday afternoon after the school.
Country Link operates two routes between Sydney and Parkes once each per day (one via Orange and the other via Lithgow). The train takes about 7 hours and typically costs between $55 and $75 each way.
Transport between the Parkes Telescope and the town during the school
We have arranged for a bus to provide transport between the accommodation and the Parkes Telescope during the Radio School.
Jimi Green, Shari Breen, Robert Braun, Phil Edwards, Sue Broadhurst
- 08 April 2011: First announcement
- 18 May 2011: Second announcement and registration opens
- 26 September 2011: School Starts
Parkes Radio Telescope, Parkes, NSW Australia
For further enquiries, contact the school organisation team at email@example.com.