Virtual Observatories

From: <Ray.Norris_at_email.protected>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 18:08:22 +1100

Dear member of the Australian Virtual Observatory email exploder

We set up this exploder over a year ago, when we were discussing input to
the mid-term Review of Australian astronomy. Not much has happened since -
there has been plenty of enthusiasm, and much talking, but not very much
action. However, a few initiatives are now starting, so it is time to
re-invigorate the Australian Virtual Observatory effort.

1) If you were not aware that you were on this exploder, it may be that I
have added your name because you have been active in this area but not
previously on this exploder. If you want to remove yourself, either
unsubscribe from majordomo in the usual way or else flame me for sending you
unsolicited spam. Either strategy is acceptable and effective.

2) I don't think I'm the right "champion" for the Australian Virtual
Observatory, as I'm too busy juggling too many other balls. If you are full
of energy and enthusiasm for the VO, and have a significant amount of time
available to put into it, please let me know. Alternatively, feel free to
dob someone else in - we will keep your name a closely guarded secret to
avoid reprisals!

3) We have proposed an IAU Virtual Observatory Symposium to be held in
conjunction with the Sydney IAU GA in 2003 (see
http://www.astronomy2003.com/ ). A copy of the proposal, in MS-Word format,
is on http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rnorris/tmp/vosymposium.doc

4) I'm aware of a few initiatives starting up. If you are involved in one of
these, please could you email this group at ivo_at_atnf.<!--nospam-->csiro.au with a brief
description, or better still a link to a web page, so that we all know
what's going on and don't tread on each others toes?

5) Vince McIntyre set up a web page on http://www.atnf.csiro.au/avo/. This
needs to be updated to provide a central resource for us all to access. If
you have a link or material you would like to add to this page, please
contact Vince.Macintyre_at_EmailProtected

6) Finally, there are probably people in Australia involved in VO
initiatives that are not on this email exploder. I attach a list of the
people currently subscribed. If you know of someone who should be on this
list but isn't, please could you ask them to subscribe, or ask Anne Barends
(anne.barends_at_EmailProtected) to subscribe them?

Many Thanks

Ray

List of subscribers to ivo_at_EmailProtected:

Ray.Norris_at_EmailProtected