[miriad-devel] Miriad installation

From: <Simon.Ellingsen_at_email.protected>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 12:41:29 +1000

Hi,
                I have a miriad installation on darwin_x86 that compiles without
errors and from the few very quick tests that I have done (simply
running the planets and plplt tasks) runs.

If anyone knows how to make shared/dynamics libraries under OSX I'd
love to know? The perl interface to PGPLOT seems to require the
shared library and I haven't been able to find out how to create it.

Below are my terse notes on the miriad installation :

Notes on installing miriad under Mac OS X 10.4.7 (intel)
---
1) Need to install gfortran (in gcc4 package from fink unstable tree)
and
    libpng.  Originally I also had pgplot installed from fink, however,
    that compiles it with g95 and then the miriad tasks with pgplot
calls
    wont link.
    I had to get the pgplot-5.2.2 source and compile/link it with
gfortran/gcc-4, the libraries
    reside under the /usr/local/lib tree for my installation.
2) Get miriad source from ATNF
3) cd /usr/local ; mkdir miriad ; cd miriad
4) tar -zxvf ~sellings/incoming/miriad.tar.gz
5) setenv $MIR /usr/local/miriad
6) Prior to installing miriad I had installed rpfits in /usr/local
    using the little tricks outlined in scripts/unix/darwin/Build_rpfits
8) Prior to running the miriad install script I made /usr/local/bin/
f77 a
    link to /sw/bin/gfortran and /usr/local/bin/cc a link to /sw/bin/
gcc-4
9) Take whatever steps necessary to make sure that the /sw/bin area
etc is in the path first and
    so the gfortran tools are picked up in preference to the Apple
tools (linkers etc)
10) I had to edit the scripts mircadd.csh and mirclnk.csh in
    /usr/local/miriad/scripts/unix/darwin to remove the -ff90-
intrinsics-hide
    option from the f77 calls.
11) cd inc ; ln -s /usr/local/include/rpfits.inc
     Had to make sure that rpfits.inc related to the most current
version
     since changes had been made to that to enable rpfits and atlod to
     compile under gfortran
12) cd /usr/local/miriad ; chmod 755 Install
    ./Install
    Had to give directories for png (/sw/lib).  Had to edit bin/
darwin/mirlibs
    by hand to add -lgfortran -lgcc
    in scripts/unix/darwin I editted mircadd.csh and mirclnk.csh to use
    gfortran rather than f77.  I also have it using gcc-4 as that is the
    companion C compiler to gfortran (it should have been OK with the
links).
    removed the -ff90-intrinsics-hide flag in mircadd.csh (gfortran
doesn't
    have it).
    bin/darwin/mirlibs is :
    #!/bin/csh -f
    echo $MIRLIB/libmir.a /usr/local/lib/librpfits.a /usr/local/lib/
libpgplot.a -L/sw/lib -lpng -lz -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lm -lgfortran
-lgcc
Regards
Simon
--
Simon Ellingsen : Senior Lecturer Physics & Astronomy, University of
Tasmania