Re: eVLBI PCs discussion points (fwd)

From: <John.Reynolds_at_email.protected>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 12:15:55 +1000 (EST)

Craig,

>It is easy enough to purchase a USB to Serial cable and use that for the
>extra serial port(s).

In principle yes, but my experience with serial multiplexers/expanders is
that they invariably have subtle 'nuances' that take some work to get
around! The DAS s/w we use here (Simone's GUI) uses a special serial
driver running in the kernel. There might well be problems trying to make
that work on USB extender. The Mk3/4/5 interface uses the standard serial
driver so in principle that should be OK.

The original problem with the current machine here was that the (serial)
mouse occupied COM1, so to get a third serial port required activating
COM3 and/or COM4. Despite many hours' trying we couldn't get either of
these to work properly with either the DAS or the Mk3.

Cheers,
John R