Re: LBA testing procedures

From: <Jim.Lovell_at_email.protected>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 13:13:20 +1000

Hi Tasso,

Thanks for the document. Here are some comments:

Action 2: I'd delete "and preferably" from the last sentence. I think
any problem at a telescope found at the correlator should be reported
to ATNF and the observatory. The extra step of ATNF passing on the
report to the observatory adds a delay and may make the process of
chasing down and fixing the problem longer. ATNF should certainly be
CC'd on all correspondence though.

Who are the points of contact for correlators, ATNF operations,
scheduling, observatories etc for these and other communications? It
would be good to document this somewhere so people know who to contact.

Is 512 Mbps achievable on the removable disks? I remember doing some
tests at Tid and found that the connections through the caddies lead
to some pretty poor data rates in some cases. See the report I sent
to vlbiobs on Aug 22 2006 (http://www.atnf.csiro.au/lists/vlbiobs/
2006/08/0603.html). I think it should be an action on all
observatories to run some tests and see if this is just a problem at
Tid or more common.

In section 4 (other issues). A recipe for XRAID testing and a result
reporting procedure would be helpful.

Lastly, I think it would be useful to see a timeline of events
leading up to and following a LBA session. Things like when the
schedules should be available, when the disks should arrive at
observatories, when disks should be shipped back, when cal and log
files should be posted, when XRAID tests should be done etc.

Cheers,
Jim

--
Dr Jim Lovell