Re: Useful tool for LBA week?

From: <Jim.Lovell_at_email.protected>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 09:50:25 +1100

Hi everyone

Shinji asked:

>Google Docs also look cool. But do Google Docs (or even Twiddla) tell in real time when someone updates those?

The updates happen in real time (try making two connections from different browsers and type into one of them), but there’s no audio to notify of changes - so you have to be watching.

Cormac asked:

>Does this provide us with anything we can't get from skype/wiki?

The chat feature in Google Docs doesn’t add anything over Skype - it looks worse in fact.

The document has one advantage over the wiki: it updates in real time. The purpose of using the Google Docs page is not to replace the wiki but to have a single ‘live’ page that shows important messages. For example, during a fringe check, the person who is searching for fringes can report the status of the checks and say when antennas are free to go on to the main schedule.

In the past I’ve found I’ve missed Skype messages like ‘fringes found to xxx’ or ‘fringe check over, go to main schedule’ because they’ve gone off the top of the chat window before I’ve seen them. This live page is a suggested way of avoiding that. However, if no one else is concerned, let’s not worry about it.

Cheers,
Jim