1st announcement. CASS workshop on "The Labyrinth of the unexpected"

From: <Tasso.Tzioumis_at_email.protected>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 03:43:54 +0000

FIRST Announcement
==================

Workshop: 29 May - 3 June 2017
Location: Kerastari, Greece

—————————————————————————————————
** The Labyrinth of the Unexpected: unforeseen treasures in impossible regions of phase space **
—————————————————————————————————

** PRE-REGISTRATION is now open via the website at
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/research/conferences/2017/Labyrinth/prereg-form.html
Contributions are invited for consideration by the SOC.
Participation will be limited to about 80 persons due to the size of the venue.

RATIONALE
—————————
About every 5 years in the village of Kerastari in the ancient region of Arcadia in Greece experts in radio astronomy from all around the world meet to discuss their latest scientific discoveries and astronomical techniques. (see previous workshops in 2002, 2007, 2012 )

The next workshop, at the end of May 2017, will explore how radio astronomy has enabled flexible processing environments that are opening new windows on the Universe (discovery of FRBs is the prime example) and may open others (e.g. SETI). How have unexpected discoveries unfolded in a technical sense and in the new/traditional fora for scientific debate? Has anything benefited the process or held it back?

As we enter the era of the SKA, are we prepared for the technical challenges and, more importantly, do we have people prepared for serendipity? Or are we preparing a generation of SKA users to blindly extract data from catalogues to produce plots? Do these questions matter?

THEMES/TOPICS will include:
—————————
* Transient Discovery Space - Discoveries; Serendipity; Searches
* Fast Radio Bursts (FRBs) - discovery; controversies; interpretation
* Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence (SETI) - Searches; Techniques; BreakthroughListen; Are FRBs ETI?
* Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) - RFI and its impact on discoveries; Terrestrial vs extra-terrestrial RFI
* Propagation effects - radio sources as probes of the ISM/IGM; Impact?
* Instruments - new telescopes and techniques; large-scale computing and data mining; machine learning; real-time and commensal systems
* Multi-wavelength, multi-messenger exploration - EM follow-up of gravitational waves
* How can we maximise the success of serendipity in the SKA community?

IMPORTANT DATES
————————
December 2016 1st announcement and pre-registrations begin.
March 2017 Final arrangements. 2nd announcement.
1 April 2017 Registration and hotel bookings open.
End April 2017 Hotel bookings close. Confirm attendance.
May 12, 2017 Registration closes.
May 29, 2017 Arrival; registration; reception.
May 30 - June 2, 2017 WORKSHOP
June 3, 2017 Post-workshop excursions; Party.

SCIENTIFIC ORGANIZING COMMITTEE:
————————
Matthew Bailes (Australia)
Sarah Burke Spolaor (USA)
Ron Ekers (Australia)
Michael Garrett (UK)
Samaya Nissanke (Netherlands)
Antonia Rowlinson (Netherlands)
Andrew Siemion (USA)
Jill Tarter (USA)
Steven Tingay (Italy)
Tasso Tzioumis (Australia) — Chair

LOCAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE:
—————————
Nectaria Gizani (Greece)
John Seiradakis (Greece)
Panagiota Tzioumi (Greece)
Tasso Tzioumis (Australia) -- Chair

For more information email to: Tasso.Tzioumis_at_email.protected>

Tasso Tzioumis
Facilities Program Director - Technologies
CSIRO Astronomy and Space Science

PO Box 76, Epping NSW 1710
(w) +61 2 9372 4350
(m) +61 409 447 902
Tasso.tzioumis_at_email.protectedilto:Tasso.tzioumis_at_email.protected>