speakers

From: <amelatos_at_email.protected>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 12:28:18 +1000 (EST)

Hi everyone,

Below is a draft letter of invitation which
you should feel free to modify at will!

We ought to start working through our list of
speakers this week. It might be best if the
person on the SOC most closely associated with
each target speaker sends the email, together
with some less formal chit-chat saying how
great it will be! E.g.,

  Neufeld - Mark W
  Chiang - Tony W and Andrew M
  Frayer - Tony W
  Lim - ?
  Bourke - ?
  Blake - ?
  van Dishoeck - Mark W

van Dishoeck does not appear on Tony's list
but was suggested to me by Mark W. She may not
come, as she was in Oz for the Freeman-fest
at Dunk Island, but we should certainly
ask her all the same.

We don't yet have an o/seas speaker on AGN.
Any ideas on this would be VERY welcome.

I agree about inviting Cornelia Lang.
I also have an expression of interest from
Andrej Sobolev (visiting the Monash masers
group) to participate and give a talk. I have
not guaranteed him a slot, but I think it would
be appropriate to do so if everyone agrees.

Cheers,
Andrew

Dear XYZ,

I am writing to ask if you would be available
to give an invited talk at a workshop entitled

     Millimeter Science
          with the
  Upgraded Australia Telescope

to be held later this year:

  University of Melbourne
  Melbourne, Australia
  29-30 November 2001

The talk would be on the general topic of

  XYZ,

ideally with an emphasis on the key science
questions that remain to be answered, and how
they might be answered by instruments like the
Upgraded Australia Telescope (AT).

It is likely that we will be able to offer you
travel support (return airfare and possibly
accommodation expenses), although the SOC is
still awaiting clarification of funding
availability.

A summary of the proceedings will be compiled
by the SOC and distributed to participants
following the workshop.

We are looking forward to an exciting program
and will be delighted if you can participate.

Yours sincerely,

XYZ (on behalf of the SOC)

         Millimeter Science
              with the
      Upgraded Australia Telescope

University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
          29-30 November 2001

The workshop is being organized by the
Australian millimeter community to precede the
Feb 15 deadline for AT observing proposals
for the 2002 Winter Season. The Upgraded AT
will have three antennas equipped with 3/12mm
receivers (maximum baseline 0.27 km ???) in
operation for the Winter Season. (What role
can Mopra play in conjunction?)
When fully upgraded, it will be one of the most
sensitive interferometers in the world until the
advent of ALMA.

The aims of the workshop are:
  1. To identify key unsolved problems where
mm observations with the AT can have an impact;
  2. To publicize the capabilities of the AT
at mm wavelengths to potential users, and report
on the science performed to date with the
preliminary 2-antenna system;
  3. To encourage collaborations on proposals
for the 2002 Winter Season.

More information can be found at

http://www.atnf.CSIRO.AU/people/twong/atca/wkshp.html