Re: speakers

From: <Tony.Wong_at_email.protected>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 15:01:33 +1000 (EST)

Andrew et al,

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Andrew Melatos wrote:

>Neufeld - Mark W
>Chiang - Tony W and Andrew M
>Frayer - Tony W
>Lim - ?
  I've met Jeremy Lim and could write to him.

>Bourke - ?
  Baerbel perhaps?

>Blake - ?
>van Dishoeck - Mark W
  Absolutely support writing to Ewine, and will ask Chris Wright to be
involved, although I can still send the invitation. We shouldn't invite
both Geoff and Ewine simultaneously, though, on the (remote) chance that
they both express interest.

>van Dishoeck does not appear on Tony's list
>but was suggested to me by Mark W. She may not
>come, as she was in Oz for the Freeman-fest
>at Dunk Island, but we should certainly
>ask her all the same.
>
>We don't yet have an o/seas speaker on AGN.
>Any ideas on this would be VERY welcome.

I'm less concerned about this because we have quite a bit of local
expertise, and Neufeld does AGN work too. A lot of AGN-related work
may be presented in the other sessions too.

>I agree about inviting Cornelia Lang.
>I also have an expression of interest from
>Andrej Sobolev (visiting the Monash masers
>group) to participate and give a talk. I have
>not guaranteed him a slot, but I think it would
>be appropriate to do so if everyone agrees.

Most of Sobolev's prior work (modeling of maser emission) is a bit
specialized for a workshop like this. Of course, he might still be able
to package it in a way that reaches a broad audience (like all good
theorists can :)), but I'd prefer to limit him to 15 minutes - perhaps a
"contributed" rather than "invited" talk, or a "short invited" rather
than "invited review". Nor do I think his presence on the invited
speakers list would excite interest, although others should correct me if
I'm wrong.

>Dear XYZ,
>
>I am writing to ask if you would be available
>to give an invited talk at a workshop entitled
>
>Millimeter Science
>with the
>Upgraded Australia Telescope
>
>to be held later this year:
>
>University of Melbourne
>Melbourne, Australia
>29-30 November 2001
>
>The talk would be on the general topic of
>
>XYZ,
>
>ideally with an emphasis on the key science
>questions that remain to be answered, and how
>they might be answered by instruments like the
>Upgraded Australia Telescope (AT).

lowercase on "Upgraded"

>It is likely that we will be able to offer you
>travel support (return airfare and possibly
>accommodation expenses), although the SOC is
>still awaiting clarification of funding
>availability.
>
>A summary of the proceedings will be compiled
>by the SOC and distributed to participants
>following the workshop.
>
>We are looking forward to an exciting program
>and will be delighted if you can participate.
>
>Yours sincerely,
>
>XYZ (on behalf of the SOC)

>Millimeter Science
>with the
>Upgraded Australia Telescope
>
>University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
>29-30 November 2001
>

>The workshop is being organized by the
>Australian millimeter community to precede the
>Feb 15 deadline for AT observing proposals
>for the 2002 Winter Season. The Upgraded AT
>will have three antennas equipped with 3/12mm
>receivers (maximum baseline 0.27 km ???) in

- drop "Upgraded"
- no need to mention maximum baseline here; I would add a sentence like
"When the upgrade is complete, observations with five 22m antennas and a
maximum baseline of 3 km will be possible, making it one..."

>operation for the Winter Season. (What role
>can Mopra play in conjunction?)

- I don't think a connection with Mopra is currently being planned.
Support for Mopra itself is in some doubt. Ramesh might know more.

>When fully upgraded, it will be one of the most
>sensitive interferometers in the world until the
>advent of ALMA.
>
>The aims of the workshop are:
>1. To identify key unsolved problems where
>mm observations with the AT can have an impact;
>2. To publicize the capabilities of the AT
>at mm wavelengths to potential users, and report
>on the science performed to date with the
>preliminary 2-antenna system;
>3. To encourage collaborations on proposals
>for the 2002 Winter Season.
>
>More information can be found at
>
>http://www.atnf.CSIRO.AU/people/twong/atca/wkshp.html

- I think we ought to apologise for the late notice, and then ask
for a prompt reply (within a week) of yes/no/maybe.

- I think we should list the names and affiliations of the SOC, to
emphasise that a number of groups are involved.

Tony

Tony Wong twong_at_atnf.<!--nospam-->csiro.au
CSIRO Australia Telescope Nat'l Facility TEL +61-2-9372-4399
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/twong FAX +61-2-9372-4310