mm workshop

From: <Baerbel.Koribalski_at_email.protected>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 14:16:53 +1000

Hi Tyler,

how are you doing ?

Wonna come to Australia to discuss millimetre science ??
Here is your chance. Let me know what you think !
It would be great to see you again soon, especially since
you seem to have missed out on observing time in this
term.

Cheers,

   Baerbel

---------------

I am writing to ask if you would be available to give an invited talk
at a workshop entitled

"Millimeter Science with the Upgraded Australia Telescope"

to be held at the University of Melbourne on 29-30 November 2001.

The talk would be on the general topic of

        Molecular Cloud Structure

ideally with an emphasis on the key science questions that remain to
be answered, and how they might be answered by instruments like the
upgraded Australia Telescope (AT).

It is likely that we will be able to offer you travel support (return
airfare and possibly accommodation expenses), although the SOC is
still awaiting clarification of funding availability.

A summary of the proceedings will be compiled by the SOC and
distributed to participants following the workshop.

We are looking forward to an exciting program and will be delighted if
you can participate.

Yours sincerely,

Baerbel Koribalski (on behalf of the SOC)

P.S. We apologise for the late notice, and ask that if possible you reply
by 21 SEPTEMBER to assist our planning.

Please X where appropriate:
[ ] Yes I will attend, and do not require travel funding
[ ] Yes I will attend, contingent on full travel support
[ ] I am interested but can't commit at this time
[ ] Not able to attend

                     Millimeter Science
                         with the
                 Upgraded Australia Telescope

            University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
                       29-30 November 2001

The workshop is being organized by the Australian millimeter community
to precede the Feb 15 deadline for AT observing proposals for the 2002
Winter season. The AT Compact Array will have three antennas equipped
with 3/12mm receivers in operation for the Winter season. When the
upgrade is complete, observations with five 22m antennas and a maximum
baseline of 3 km will be possible, and ATCA will be one of the most
sensitive millimeter interferometers in the world.

The aims of the workshop are:

  1. To identify key unsolved problems where mm observations with the
AT can have an impact;

  2. To publicize the capabilities of the AT at mm wavelengths to
potential users, and report on the science performed to date with the
preliminary system;

  3. To encourage collaborations on future proposals.

More information can be found at

http://www.atnf.CSIRO.AU/people/twong/atca/wkshp.html