workshop schedule

From: <Tony.Wong_at_email.protected>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 16:30:51 +1000 (EST)

Mark and Ramesh (and Baerbel too if you're checking mail),

        I was hoping we might find some time this week to chat and
reach a consensus on program-related stuff. Is there a time on
Wed/Thu that would be more (or less) suited to you?

        Although we're still waiting on a few responses (I'll nudge people
again on Monday if no word), here's how things are shaping up:

1. Capabilities of AT
        Wong, Koribalski, Sault, Wilson(?)
2. Structure and Chemistry of Molecular Clouds
        Blake, Lang, Hunt, Wardle
3. Young Stellar Objects
        Bourke, Minier, Maddison(?), Sobolev, Cragg
4. Extragalactic and Cosmology
        Wiklind, Curran, Dopita, Subrahmanyan(?)
5. Evolved Stars and SNRs
        Jura(?), Manchester, Rudnitskij, Duncan(?)

Jura is at UCLA and would be our replacement for Lim (who had to
withdraw).

Here are the issues to discuss:

1 - Have I missed anyone?

2 - Lengths of talks? Currently Andrew and I are planning on 30+10 for
long talks and 15+5 for regular talks. This means 1 long and 3 short will
occupy a 1 hr 40 min "session". Some people (eg Minier, Sobolev) have
expressed willingness to talk longer, so we need to decide how to respond.

3 - Structure of program? At present we're thinking of starting late on
Thursday, so one morning session and 2 afternoon sessions. The remaining
2 sessions would be on Friday morning, followed by small-group
discussions in the afternoon. Dick Manchester can only come on Thursday,
so to accomodate him we could have sessions 1,5,4 on Thursday and 2,3 on
Friday. I have "promised" him an answer by this Thursday. Comments?

4 - Other questions and concerns.

        If you can't phone in this week please let us know your thoughts
by email. In any case, we should aim to notify people of their talk
lengths by Oct. 31. By the way, I'm out of town from Nov. 1-12.

--Tony

P.S. I apologise for letting this exploder get infiltrated by a spam-bot.
I will try to be more vigilant in the future.

Tony Wong twong_at_atnf.<!--nospam-->csiro.au
CSIRO Australia Telescope Nat'l Facility TEL +61-2-9372-4399
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/twong FAX +61-2-9372-4310