Re: [miriad-devel] Miriad installation

From: <rsault_at_email.protected>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:11:43 +1000 (AUS Eastern Standard Time)

Simon,

Because miriad stores data on disk in a system independent format (like
FITS), conversion between the native machine formats and the disk format
is performed within Miriad. The disk number formats used by Miriad are the
same as FITS number formats.

mirupdate contains the path of source code to compile, and so would need
to be changed to pick the low-level code that expects the x86 byte order.
The mircadd script will also need some change. Currently the
file sysdep.h has a define statement related to byte order. Either
you can leave sysdep.h unchanged, and use the "-Dlinux" flag to the
C compiler, or you can change sysdep.h and mircadd.

Below is some notes I wrote a while back on the steps needed to port
Miriad to an x86 Darwin machine. The Miriad build environment is designed
to readily handle these sorts of variations. So I assume once the dust has
settled a x86 Darwin scripts subdirectory will be makde to handle all of
it seemlessly to users.

If the RPFITS library is working for ASAP, then nothing should need to
happen with this.

Best regards
Bob

--
Bob Sault
Email: rsault_at_optusnet.<!--nospam-->com.au