Re: Progress toward New Zealand VLBI

From: <brett.reid_at_email.protected>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:58:34 +1000

Hi Dave,
I have not been involved in seeing correlated data from 2 dishes at all
before, so I do not know if I have it right. I did send a later message
regarding coherence of the Kiwi system and added this message in response
to a message from Richard with the same concern you raise. I did not
include vlbiobs in the reply so you may not have seen it.

At L band the Kiwi receiver running on their Rubidium produced a
coherence tone at 5 MHz that drifted 1 cycle over a couple of minutes.
The drift was steady, without jitter. When we ran the receiver from the
maser the display was rock solid steady.

Here is what we did as detailed in the later message:
>Adjustment of the rubidium rate was not made since the initial adjustment
>on Friday (maybe it was Thursday). During Saturday we monitored the maser
>10 MHz and the rubidium 10 MHz. The drift was again less than 1/4 cycle
>over 3 hours. Sergei can confirm the actual drift. The drift was always
>in one direction only, with the rubidium running slower. I calculate that
>it is it is losing 0.1 microseconds in 12 hours or 1 second in 13,690
>years!! The unit as originally calibrated was running about 12 times
>slower when it arrived in Hobart. It remains to be seen what the trip
>back to Auckland does to it.
>
>During the coherence tests mentioned above, the 5 Mhz displays were rock
>solid with no drift when running everything on the maser. We then synched
>the AUT receiver and 2nd LO to the Rubidium 10 MHz keeping the injected
>sky tone synched to the maser. The display then drifted slowly and would
>probably take a couple of minutes to drift by one cycle. This slow drift
>looked constant, in one direction and was without jitter.

Now that both you and Richard have raised concerns, I wish we had put a
srew driver in the AUT rubidium again to see if we could freeze the
coherence display, especially since it always was slow and constant and
not jittering.

As I said I haven't been involved with correlating data. If the
rubidium's rate is known and reasonably constant, as demonstrated by our
tests, then hopefully this can be taken into account?

There would be some value in setting up PPS from Rubidium and PPS from
GPS and monitoring the offset over the weeks to the May test, I suppose,
to determine the rate of the clock after the trip back to Auckland.

Regards,
Brett.

==============Original message text===============