VLBI interest in MIRA (xNTD)

From: <Chris.Phillips_at_email.protected>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 11:41:59 +1100 (EST)

Hi all,

ATNF has been holding a MIRA/MIRANdA/xNTD design meeting over the last few
days. The request to do VLBI at 2.4 GHz has been heard and is not yet
ruled out.

However it is not a trivial thing - there are lots of issues which need to
be designed in just for VLBI
   e.g. Wider band LBA is lower Tsys
         Complicates IF chain
         Linear vs circular pol
         phase consistency after freq changes etc

How excited is the VLBI group about using MIRA for 2.4 GHz VLBI?
Can people let me know if you are excited, bored, indifferent etc about
this prospect? We need to feed back to the design team how important the
VLBI use is.