Firewall setups for ATNF evlbi network

From: <Chris.Phillips_at_email.protected>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:55:50 +1000 (EST)

Hi all,

As I am sure you have all come across we all our institutions are heavily
guarded via firewalls. I am about to send a moderately large change of
firewall setting to Shaun for the evlbi network and thought it best to try
and do changes in a coordinated way to minimise the numbers changes. The
ATNF evlbi network are the machines pkvsi1-ext,pkvsi2-ext mpvsi1-ext,
mpvsi2-ext, cavsi1-ext, cavsi2-ext and epvsi1-ext. Currently what is
allowed is:

Outgoing:

   ssh (port 22 TCP) to
         anyhost

   Real time fringe testing (ports 7420&7425 TCP) to
         pentane.ssi.swin.edu.au

   evlbi (ports 52100-52104 TCP&UDP) to
         pentane
         jive (huygens, aus-1)

Incoming

   ssh from
         pentane
         .phys.utas.edu.au (campus only)
         .csiro.au
         mills.phys.utas.edu.au

   evlbi (ports 52100-52104 TCP/UDP) from
         pentane
         jive
         hovsi.phys.utas.edu.au

I think we probably want to add the following to the ATNF firewalls

ntp (port 123/tcp)
    to and from
         hovsi.phys.utas.edu.au
         cdvsi.phys.utas.edu.au
         tidvsi (203.5.58.205)

This will allow us to compare the times on all vsi recorders easily and
potentially automatically.

h (port 22/tcp) from
         tidvsi
         .phys.utas.edu.au (mount pleasant and ceduna) **
         More Swinburne hosts?? **

evlbi (ports 52100-52104 UDP&TCP)
         to and from
         New Zealand **

We will want evlbi access from a number of hosts on the upgraded Swinburne
cluster. I am assuming the hosts addresses are not known yet.

Can anyone else think of other access that would be useful (with a
justification!).

There will need to be corresponging chages made to firewalls at the remote
ends also (e.g. utas and Swinburne). Once we have decided what we want
opened, I am assuming someone local can discss this with their local IT
support.

** Please could someone supply Shaun and I with the appropriate
network/host addresses.