SKA-VLBI Key Science Projects and Operations Workshop: registration open (14-17 October 2019, Jodrell Bank)

From: Phillips, Chris (CASS, Marsfield) <"Phillips,>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 05:18:06 +0000

[Apologies if you receive this multiple times]

Dear colleagues,

We are happy to announce that the registration is open for
the SKA-VLBI Key Science Projects and Operations Workshop, which
will be held between 14-17 October 2019, Jodrell Bank, United Kingdom.
Note there is no registration fee but we will charge 30 GBP for the
conference dinner. The space for the meeting is limited, and late
registrants will be put onto a waiting list.

To register, please visit the meeting web pages:
Meeting webpage: https://indico.skatelescope.org/event/539/

The goal of the workshop is to bring together the community interested
in very long baseline radio astronomy at the SKA HQ, to think about how
VLBI science can be best done with the phase I Square Kilometre Array
telescopes. What are the major science drivers, what are the technological
challenges, and what is the best way to formulate Key Science Programmes
for the SKA? The plan is to have talks as well as breakout sessions for
which we will locally form KSP groups, who will then brainstorm about
SKA-VLBI proposal ideas.

*****Young researchers are particularly encouraged to apply. There will be some
limited travel support available in special cases - please contact Sarah Lamb
<s.lamb_at_email.protectedscope.org>> if you are interested, with a cc to Zsolt Paragi
<zparagi_at_email.protected>>.*****

The invited speakers for the science sessions are:

Dana Simard (U. Toronto, CA, TBC): Pulsar scattering

Jack Radcliffe (RU Groningen, NL): Wide-field VLBI

Marcello Giroletti (INAF, IT): GW-EM counterparts VLBI follow-up

Jan Forbrich (U. Hertfordshire, UK): Stellar continuum, young stellar objects

Yoon Kyung Choi (MPIfR-Bonn, D): Maser astrometry, evolved stars

Manisha Caleb (U. Manchester, UK): Fast radio bursts

Pikky Atri (ICRAR, AU): Black hole X-ray binaries

Leah Morabito (U. Oxford, UK): Low-frequency AGN surveys

John McKean (ASTRON, RU Groningen, NL): Gravitational lensing, cosmology

James Chibueze (North West U., SA): VLBI in Africa

The SKA and SKA-VLBI will be introduced by:

Phil Diamond (SKAO, UK)

Robert Braun (SKAO, UK)

Antonio Chrysostomou (SKAO, UK)

Cristina Garcia-Miro (SKAO, UK)

Cormac Reynolds (CSIRO, AU)

Richard Dodson (ICRAR, AU)

Richard Schilizzi (TBC)

Following the workshop there will be an “EVN Future” discussion day on
18 October (invitation only).

This workshop is supported by JUMPING JIVE, the SKA, and RadioNet.

The SOC co-Chairs,
Antonio Chrysostomou, Zsolt Paragi