SKA-VLBI Simulations Task Force

From: Phillips, Chris (S&A, Marsfield) <"Phillips,>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 23:17:02 +0000

Hi all

FYI and I encourage you all to join this.

Dear colleagues,

Recent developments have shown that we need to understand the capabilities of SKA-VLBI in more detail given the heterogeneous networks that will be employed. As a result, we are forming the SKA-VLBI Simulations Task Force. The main aim of this group will be to create end-to-end simulations so we can gauge the true capabilities of SKA-VLBI (for both MID & LOW) for a variety SKA-VLBI science use cases (which are likely to have different requirements). As the operational constraints of SKA-VLBI become clearer, understanding how the technical constraints will impact your science is of utmost importance.

Even if you are not interested in contributing to the actual production of the simulations but have an interesting use case you'd like to see simulated, please do consider joining. We would like to ensure that all science cases can be covered so experts who could advise upon these efforts are extremely welcome. An example of such simulations as applied to wide-field VLBI surveys from a recent talk at the VLBI in the SKA-era conference can be found here: http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~radcliff/skavlbi_radcliffe.pdf

Aside from this main goal, the task force has the other following aims,

- Produce end-to-end data products that could be used for science forecasting, survey design strategies, pipeline development and contribute to SKA data challenges (+ much more).
- Inform and discuss with SKAO regarding defining SKA-VLBI operational modes such as sub-arraying templates.
- Generate user-friendly software (not just for SKA-VLBI) which could be used for various activities. This could include feasibility studies for array expansions (e.g. SKA-LOW VLBI, AVN), proposals, user support, data pipelines etc.
- Bring together experts around the world to unify simulation efforts (we don’t want to reinvent the wheel here)

If you are interested then please reply to jack.radcliffe_at_email.protected>. We plan on having a kick-off meeting in the next few weeks.

Best wishes,
Jack Radcliffe (task force lead), Tao An & Cormac Reynolds (SKA-VLBI co-chairs)