Vote on binary table proposals

From: <mcalabre_at_email.protected>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:23:02 +1100

Greetings,

As previously advised, Bill Pence has now called for a vote on the
binary table proposals, his email is appended. Please send me your
vote as soon as convenient.

Cheers, Mark

Call for regional FITS committee votes on the FITS binary table proposals
                   Effective Date: 17 January 2005

There were no reported objections to holding a vote on the 2 FITS binary
table proposals, so I now call on each of the 4 regional FITS committee
chairmen to conduct a vote by their respective committee members. The
voting should be completed within 3 weeks, by Monday, 7 February 2005.

The current draft of the proposals may be viewed at

http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/bintable_proposals.html

Each proposal should be voted on separately, as follows:

Proposal 1, to incorporate the Variable Length Array convention into the
FITS Standard (choose 1):

   Yes - I agree
   No - I disagree, because... (give reasons)
   Abstain - I have no preference

Proposal 2, to incorporate the TDIMn multidimensional array convention into
the FITS Standard (choose 1):

   Yes - I agree
   No - I disagree, because... (give reasons)
   Abstain - I have no preference

If there are any suggestions for small editorial changes to these proposals,
they should be forwarded along with the votes, and they will be considered
by the IAU FITS Working Group before they cast a final vote on the proposals.

Finally, as a reminder, here are the official rules for conducting and
interpreting the outcome of the vote:

   Once the Executive Committee (EC) has requested that the regional
   FITS committees vote on the proposal, the chairman of each committee
   will be responsible for collecting the votes via email within the
   alloted time period (normally 3 weeks). The committee members may
   vote either 'Yes, in favor', 'No, not in favor', or 'Abstain'. Any
   member who fails to cast a vote will be counted as voting to 'Abstain'.
   Anyone voting 'No' should give the reason(s) why they feel the proposal
   is not acceptable. In order for a regional committee to approve a
   proposal a quorum of at least 2/3 of the committee members must have
   voted either 'Yes' or 'No', and at least 2/3 of those votes must be
   'Yes'. After collecting all the votes, the regional committee chairman
   will forward the vote tallies (without associated names), along with
   the reasons for any 'No' votes, to the EC.

regards,
Bill
--
Dr. William Pence, Chairman, IAU-FWG       William.D.Pence_at_nasa.<!--nospam-->gov
NASA/GSFC Code 662                         +1-301-286-4599 (voice)