Re: Idea for Education Session

From: <John.Lattanzio_at_email.protected>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:26:30 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Kate Brooks wrote:

Well, I don't like to do this but let me be negative for a minute :-/

I have already said that this is the "ASM" and "AGM" of the ASA.
i.e. the "Annual Scientific Meeting" (and Annual General Meeting).
So technically I don't think that an education session belongs - and
neither does a session on PASA. However, both are important issues to
the ASA and could perhaps be included under the AGM banner?

Education is of course crucial not only because it concerns the
training of all scientists but especially the next generation of
astronomers. So despite the negative comment above, I am very much in
favour of such a session.

But I think the focus should be on the teaching and involvement of
students (and others) in astronomy - rather than finding jobs for
graduate astronomers. That is also something of concern to the ASA but
I think its not the core business.

A session on astronomy education, teaching, etc is relevant to the
large number of ASA members who work in Universities and must teach,
and attract students to the discipline. And although finding jobs for
graduates is important, I am not so sure that this is the venue for
those discussions.

I am happy to be shouted down, but that is my opinion :-)

And I am sorry for sounding negative to the idea...

JL

--
Professor John Lattanzio
Centre for Stellar and Planetary Astrophysics