[askap-users] January ASKAP update

From: Hotan, Aidan (CASS, Kensington WA) <"Hotan,>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 22:38:08 +0000

Greetings all,

We hope that everyone has had a good start to the new year!

ASKAP has been continuing pilot survey observations throughout much of December and January, making good progress on reaching the 100-hour target for each survey team. Many thanks to all members of the operations team who kept the system running with reduced support during this time. Operating for extended periods continues to highlight aspects of the system that need to be improved to increase our survey duty cycle. With this in mind, one of the first project-wide events of the year for ASKAP is a three-day planning session that will map out the work to be done during the next three months. Last year we worked hard to solve some of the major reliability issues that were causing data loss. This quarter we will start with a focus on centralising the configuration and setup process to allow more consistent and efficient transitions from one survey mode to another.

Although tomorrow is the third Tuesday of January, we will not be hosting a science forum this month. Many of us will be busy with the planning meetings mentioned previously, so we will resume the forum and newsletter series in February, with a detailed update on pilot survey progress and plans for the rest of the year.

Best regards,
Aidan