Re: LBA testing procedures

From: <Tasso.Tzioumis_at_email.protected>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 18:01:36 +1000

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the comments. I'e incorporated most of these in the
document as indicated below. Ultimately, this document will need
revision and updates as we are going along.

Here are the comments:

>Action 2: I'd delete "and preferably" from the last sentence. I
>think any problem at a telescope found at the correlator should be
>reported to ATNF and the observatory. The extra step of ATNF
>passing on the report to the observatory adds a delay and may make
>the process of chasing down and fixing the problem longer. ATNF
>should certainly be CC'd on all correspondence though.

DONE.

>Who are the points of contact for correlators, ATNF operations,
>scheduling, observatories etc for these and other communications?
>It would be good to document this somewhere so people know who to
>contact.
I've included another action item to compile such list and keep it up
to date.

>Is 512 Mbps achievable on the removable disks? I remember doing
>some tests at Tid and found that the connections through the
>caddies lead to some pretty poor data rates in some cases. See the
>report I sent to vlbiobs on Aug 22 2006 (http://www.atnf.csiro.au/
>lists/vlbiobs/2006/08/0603.html). I think it should be an action on
>all observatories to run some tests and see if this is just a
>problem at Tid or more common.

Chris I believe replied on this. The problem has not been seen
elsewhere. We need to fllow it up at Tid.

>In section 4 (other issues). A recipe for XRAID testing and a
>result reporting procedure would be helpful.

Already on the WIKI.

>Lastly, I think it would be useful to see a timeline of events
>leading up to and following a LBA session. Things like when the
>schedules should be available, when the disks should arrive at
>observatories, when disks should be shipped back, when cal and log
>files should be posted, when XRAID tests should be done etc.

Another action item to formalise and maintain such a timeline.

Attached is the final version of this document for the time being.

Thanks for your help.

Tasso

Tasso Tzioumis, Australia Telescope National Facility, CSIRO
Location: Cnr Pembroke & Vimiera Rds, Marsfield, NSW, 2122, AUSTRALIA
Post: PO Box 76, Epping, NSW 1710, AUSTRALIA
Phone: +61 2 9372 4350 Fax: +61 2 9372 4450 or 4310
Email: Tasso.Tzioumis_at_csiro.<!--nospam-->au